One of the most frequent things people say to me is “I don’t know what to talk about” or “Why would anyone listen to what I have to say?”.
This really frustrates me because we are all experts in our own industry and have so much knowledge and expertise to share but we all take what we know for granted. It is also about tapping into what your audience NEED and WANT to know. How can you bewitch them and capture their attention?
I’ve put together a few suggestions for you:
- Expert hints and tips
How can you share your expert guidance with people through videos, podcasts, images and blogs? Discover those gems of wisdom that your community are dying to know and will find really helpful in their business and personal lives. The more free information you give away, the more you build your credibility and the trust
- Changes in your industry
Are you involved in an industry where changes in legislation, updates to software platforms and amendments to terms and conditions will affect your audience? Is it crucial to how their business functions? In that case, they need to know!
- Related products or services in your industry
Are there services and products that dovetail perfectly with your business? Will your community love you for making their lives a little bit easier by sharing these with them?
- Breaking company news
Tell everyone what is going on in your company, is there:
– a new member of staff
– won a new business contract
– new premises you are moving to
– a new product or service launching soon
Are you exhibiting at a business event, or the Speaker at a conference or attending various networking meeting? Tell everyone where you are and then they know where they can find you!
- Run a competition
This obviously won’t work for all industries, but what can you give away to reward loyal supporters and interest new ones? You can offer a free e-book or template download, taster session of your service or freebie product.
Can you use this opportunity to conduct market research, ask questions or get feedback?
- Motivational and inspirational messages
I know this is HUGE right now, people are going mad for motivational messages and images and sharing them constantly. What can you use that is relevant to your audience?
Don’t forget people LOVE personal stuff. We are nosy and very curious and we want to see what happens behind closed doors, so what can you share with us?
- What’s happening in your office? Show us photos and stories of the team celebrating a birthday or good news.
- Where you are and what you are up to?
- Have you got any things that drive you mad that you could share and see how many other people feel the same?
- Do you have an office mascot – your cat or dog? Everyone loves a cute photo every now and then (I’m still trying to teach Missy (on the right) how to put the kettle on for us, but she’s far better at ‘supervising’!).
The more interesting and helpful your content is the more your community will get involved in you. Start thinking now how you can capture their attention and weave a little Social Media Magic!