I am loving celebrating five years in business and this week is probably the first time in a long time that I have just sat and reflected on my roller coaster ride.
If you can remember back that far I started out as a Virtual Assistant /Personal Assistant and in doing that I discovered how much of a geek I am in my love for Social Media and helping others to learn to love it too for their businesses. Just finding out what you love doing makes the biggest change ever!
Here are eight valuable lessons I have learnt over the last five years. All stuff I probably knew before setting up my own business but it didn’t have such a big impact then.
- It’s all about relationships. Build them, nurture them, look after the people in your life and business.
- Yes being self employed is really hard work – but working for someone else and doing a job you aren’t passionate about can be soul destroying.
- Reach out and ask for help when you need it. There’s nothing wrong with admitting you need a little guidance.
- Don’t listen to everyone (especially if they are not an expert in that particular subject) – pick and choose your fonts of all knowledge, whose values and ambitions align with yours.
- The only thing that restricts us is our own imagination. Why do I have to do the same as everyone else? Break the rules … then make your own.
- You can always do better, make the goals and strive for them. Don’t settle for second best or just floating, keep moving forward.
- Surround yourself with a great team of positive, ambitious people. Get rid of negativity, there is no room for it.
- IF IT’S NOT FUN AND YOU DON’T LOVE IT THE MAJORITY OF THE TIME THEN YOU ARE DOING THE WRONG THING!
Do these resonate with you? What valuable lessons have you learned from your time in business? I’d love to hear them, share them with me in the comments box.