Content is most definitely King on Social Media!
If you aren’t giving your community awesome content then you are not really doing social media for your business. I know it can be the hardest thing to think about and prepare, it doesn’t come easy to me either.
Your blog content is what keeps your community interested and loyal to you and what they are going to share so it is well worth the time invested in planning it.
If you are anything like me you have trouble starting from a blank page. Can’t stand it! My mind shuts down, it all gets very dark and there is not even a glimmer of an idea.
5 ways to spark inspiration:
- Start with your Frequently Asked Questions. What are new contacts, clients and networking colleagues always wanting to know?
- Setup Google Alerts to search for subjects and articles that can give you a lightbulb moment.
- Use the search functionality in your Management Dashboard such as HootSuite or TweetDeck (because I know you are using these right?) to search on keywords and phrases.
- Have you seen something or heard something that bugs you – have a quick rant (works for me everytime!).
- Hit StumbleUpon to see what’s hot right now.
Make sure you capture all the topics you can talk about. Find the way that works for you…
- Mind mapping – I either use Idea Sketch on my iPad OR a nice big piece of paper and coloured pens (preferably A3 or bigger and lots of different colours).
- Make a list – my sister and I LOVE a list, quite often using Evernote, we also get a little keen about putting it into spreadsheets (it’s a Fletcher thing).
Try having a brainstorming session with a buddy to bounce of ideas off. It can be useful to do it with someone not involved in your business so they can see it from the outside and ask random questions.
Once you have a raft of topics, drill down to become more specific and create blog titles – exciting ones please. Plan the next 3 months so you can be super organised and get writing your awesome social media content!